Topic: “How to Present Creation at County Fairs”
Presented by: Mary and Dave Weigand of “What’s the Evidence” West Bend, WI
Hosted by: The Genesis Foundation, Green Bay, WI
Location: Bay City Baptist Church, Green Bay, WI
Date: Friday, May 16th, 2014, 6:30 to 8:30pm
Mary and Dave have evangelized at county fairs in Wisconsin for the past ten years.
They specialize in creation because they learned first-hand that public schools will not entertain the idea of teaching anything other than evolution. They brought Dr. David Menton to their son’s school to present scientific evidence of creation to the school officials but the officials ignored the evidence. Therefore Mary and Dave started their “What’s the Evidence” ministry to get the truth of creation out to the public.
They realized that county fairs might be a good venue because there are thousands of attendees who had time to listen because they weren’t in a hurry to get somewhere and they were usually in a good mood. Every year Mary and Dave rent booths at as many fairs as they can coordinate. They have enough members to attend two fairs at a time. They typically attend the following fairs: Dane, Washington, Saulk, Ozaukee, Waukesha and Sheboygan.
Their booth consists of ‘evidence of creation’ that they have purchased themselves or received donations for. Their main banner is ten feet long, to stretch across the entire length of a typical booth. The banner states:
“Why do Thousands of Scientists Believe Darwin was Wrong?”
The banner attracts attention of passersby because most people have no idea that there could be any other explanation for life other than evolution.
They labeled a table as ‘Touch Table’ so that people could pick up and examine various pieces of ‘evidence’. They had to build a display cabinet for their fossils because of theft.
Mary and Dave keep a ‘Prayer List’ of the discussions that they’ve had with attendees.
They have several give-away ideas:
- ‘God of Wonders’ DVD to those people who want to learn more,
- Dinosaur tattoo to children who then are told about the gospel during the tattooing process,
- pieces of amber that can be cleaned with a tooth-brush and toothpaste (while at the booth) to try to find an insect in the amber. They purchase amber from ‘naturewatch.com’ ask for Jeff.
- AIG booklets, first one is free, then 25 cents donation (not allowed to sell anything at the booth)
- Short quiz for people to fill out to learn about the difference between creation and evolution
- Dinosaur balloons. Turned out to be too much trouble.
Other ‘evidence’ in the booth includes:
- fossils of shark teeth,
- 4’ long replica of dinosaur bone that was cracked. The crack is an indication of a traumatic event such as the worldwide flood.
- Icka Stones,
- A microscope to view insects in pieces of amber,
- At least one TV, possibly two, to show DVDs. Ideally the TVs are muted with closed captioning to not upset neighboring booths.
Printed materials include:
- Poster of “Animal Kinds” vs. “Species”, possibly obtain posters from ‘gotprint.com’
- Quotable Quotes, quotes out of the bible as well as quotes from famous evolutionists
- What process does a caterpillar undergo to become a butterfly,
- How does hair grow and what does the Bible say about the hairs on our heads,
Suggestions from Mary and Dave:
- A single ten foot long booth is not large enough. They rent at least 15’ or 20’.
- Each person that works the booth should pick a small topic to learn about and feel comfortable sharing with fair goers.
- Have evidence about dinosaurs and butterflies. Boys like to learn about dinosaurs and girls like to learn about butterflies.
- Have evidence about Noah’s ark and the flood because of the recent movie.
- Create a schedule of workers for the booth. The booth must be manned every hour of the fair. It’s important to have two workers at all times to allow for breaks. Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the busiest and will require three or more workers.
- Do not break any of the fair rules because they will ask us to leave.
- Mary likes to ask “Why is it so important that you believe in evolution?”